Titus 2:3-5

The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; that they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

An Epiphany

Last week I had an epiphany moment. I had fallen into the first time new mother trap of pushing my husband down the priority list. I hadn't intended to neglect Rob, in fact I thought I was doing a fairly good job of paying attention to him. I knew that looking after Aiden's needs had been very time consuming, especially the first couple of months, but we were finally turning a corner with an established routine and more time to get "stuff" done.

So last week I finally had reached a point of having enough time to get bored of always having "mommy hair." Right now my hair is almost half way down my back in length. I like my hair being this long. Rob likes my hair this long. I don't want to cut it into a more practical "mommy do," so most of the time it gets twisted up in a hair clip. It is the minimum effort, out of the baby's way look. Four months into this I had enough of doing the same thing every day for the sake of easiness. Then one day last week I decided to actually style my hair. When Rob got home he immediately noticed and smiled at me. He commented several times at how pretty my hair looked. The next day I again styled my hair, then just before Rob got home I managed to put on a little lipstick. Again my husband's reaction was one of pleasure at the sight of his put together wife. It was then that I realised just how much it ministered to my husband when I make just a little effort to look good for him. He had never complained during my four months of the grungy new mom look, but I knew right at that moment not taking just 5 minutes to prepare myself for his arrival home I was telling him that he was not as important to me as our son was.

My goal now is make sure Rob never again slips on the priority list. Fixing my hair and applying a little lipstick, wearing clean feminine clothes (rather than yoga pants and a baggy t-shirt) and preparing for Rob coming home from work takes only a few minutes. It only takes a few minutes, but how much nicer must it be for Rob when he doesn't come home to a frazzled looking, spit-up covered wife. It is a small, but important way that I can say "I love you and you are important to me" to my husband each and every day.

Sorry there isn't any pictures yet. I'll try to take some in the next few days and get them posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Daisypath Next Aniversary Ticker

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Baby Mordecai

Our blessed first baby, Mordecai, gone to heaven on July 23, 2009 at 13 weeks gestation.

You will never be forgotten by us.